To help limit the number of risks for seniors with Alzheimer’s – who live independently or receive assistance from family members and part-time caregivers – a medical alert system may be the right choice. These systems can be hooked up to a home’s land or mobile telephone line, allowing seniors to alert an emergency call center in the case of a fall, injury or other accident.
Profile of a Reliable System
If you are considering a medical alert system to promote better Alzheimer’s care in North Houston, the following are valuable features that distinguish a reliable system. In fact, many services are of special benefit for the senior with Alzheimer’s.
- Automatic Fall Detection – The device is able to detect sudden movement and impact and immediately contacts the call center. This is especially valuable for the Alzheimer’s senior, who may panic or forget they have the service.
- Back-Up Battery – There is a battery back-up for both the call button and base unit to ensure complete functionality in the event of a power failure.
- Waterproof – Because slips and falls are not uncommon when bathing or in the kitchen, a reliable wearable device should be waterproof.
- GPS Tracking – Wandering may not occur until the more advanced stages of Alzheimer’s, but it’s important to look for a device where mobile GPS service is an option. This will allow families to identify a person’s location outside the home.
- Local Monitoring – Look for companies that have their own monitoring center in the US. Generally, two operators answer each call. One contacts emergency services, while the other stays on the line with the person in distress.
- Upfront Services – Reliable emergency alert systems will often not require fees for a contract, activation, installation, or equipment.
- Quality of Equipment – There are multiple pieces in a monitoring system. All equipment should be either FDA-Registered or UL-Certified. These designations are your assurance of quality, tested products.
- Company Standards – Look for monitoring companies that have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
If you feel that your loved one could use additional assistance to ensure safety and quality of life at home, reach out to Home Care Assistance of North Houston today. We provide home care in North Houston, TX, and have caregivers who are trained in Alzheimer’s care as well as our revolutionary Cognitive Therapeutics Method to help promote mental acuity and quality of life for our clients. For more information or to request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation, call 832-412-1345.